Blemished models - DA.C
 

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > 1:200 Scale Model Aircraft

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #1
1/200 civil|1/72 military
 
nurunet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toulouse, France
Posts: 879
Question Blemished models

Hey guys (and gals?)!

I am somewhat new to the forum and starting to build a collection. Unfortunately, I do not have a retailer selling a wide selection of 1/200 civil models close by (not that I know of at least!). So I have to buy on line.

Recently, I received two models that have slight cosmetic issues and wanted to ask you what counts as normal in our hobby.

First, my Gemini 200 AA B772 arrived with bent NLG (easily fixed), scratched stand and a small speck on the "forehead". The stand is not so important, also because it is the backside that is scratched. And the speck on the model is visible depending on the light falling on it. I guess it's a problem with the clear coating and thus - judging from other posts - relatively normal?



Do you think this would greatly affect (effect? I never know...) potential resale value? I don't intend to re-sell the model any time soon as I find it beautiful, but I know from experience that my taste can change over time.

Then, I got a Qatar A346 which arrived with some of the paint (color of the Qatar-lettering) on the windshield. Looks like a massive bird strike. Can I clean that somehow? Not without cleaning away the windshields too, I guess.



I am wondering whether to return the Qatari model, but I guess the shipping to Singapore would make it uneconomical.

Cheers,
Ben
nurunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-10-2012, 02:52 AM   #2
Master Collector
 
neilc777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 864
Default Re: Blemished models

Hi Ben,

The polished aluminum finish looks very nice from afar, but it has its flaws up close. It looks like someone went to town with a Scotch-Brite pad on a couple of mine! The lack of paint also makes it hard to hide any small imperfections in the finish or the casting. I would characterize the blemish on your AA as minor, but if you were to resell the model - it's something you'll want to mention to potential buyers. In my AA 777 copy I also have a small predrilled hole near the base of the tail where an antenna might have gone. I have three GJ200 777s and every one of them had a slightly bent nose gear. It's a pretty common issue and as you found out, it's easily fixed.

I would return the model with the red streak - especially if the seller described it as "perfect condition" or "mint".
Don't know how much success you're going to have getting that streak to come off if it's part of the tampo printing.

Last edited by neilc777; 10-10-2012 at 02:59 AM.
neilc777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:11 AM   #3
1/200 civil|1/72 military
 
nurunet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toulouse, France
Posts: 879
Default Re: Blemished models

Dear neilc777,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Yeah, I guess small imperfections are the price one has to pay for bare metal birds. But they are so shiny!

Concerning the A346, I guess I'll try to contact the seller in SG. I understood that the model was supposed to be new. The box also has massive shelf wear and looks quite "old", but I wouldn't have cared if the model were really new.

For the moment it's my Qatari A340-600 "birdstrike edition". :-/

Cheers,
Ben
nurunet is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 10-10-2012, 03:26 AM   #4
Master Collector
 
neilc777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 864
Default Re: Blemished models

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurunet View Post
Dear neilc777,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Yeah, I guess small imperfections are the price one has to pay for bare metal birds. But they are so shiny!

Concerning the A346, I guess I'll try to contact the seller in SG. I understood that the model was supposed to be new. The box also has massive shelf wear and looks quite "old", but I wouldn't have cared if the model were really new.

For the moment it's my Qatari A340-600 "birdstrike edition". :-/

Cheers,
Ben
The A346 model is probably new but you discovered a QC issue with the model that your seller probably should have found before selling it to you. Unfortunately Gemini, Inflight, and JC Wings are notorious for poor Quality Control with model releases. It sucks when the vendors pass them along to us that way as well, but it happens.

Hope you can get it exchanged for a better copy. Btw, welcome to DAC!
neilc777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:05 AM   #5
Complete Wacko!
 
mjabbasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pakistan
Posts: 11,461
Default Re: Blemished models

Actually these Hogan models are boxed with the front facing the right side hence the left side of the model is hidden from view unless removed from the box cradle and inspected.



__________________
Moin Abbasi
mjabbasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:22 AM   #6
Enjoy The Sky
 
MSR777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 6,251
Default Re: Blemished models

Hi Ben.

If it were me, I would return both models. I don't know how rare they are, but imperfections like those would drive me mad, especially that Qatar. Your decision of course.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Behold! The Wings of Horus" Miṣr liṭ-Ṭayarān
MSR777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:06 AM   #7
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,981
Send a message via Yahoo to karun83 Send a message via Skype™ to karun83
Default Re: Blemished models

for the Qatar, use a Q-tip with a small amount of TAMIYA POLISHING COMPOUND 'FINISH' and apply it on the 'burgundy-red' color that is there on the cockpit. let it dry for say 5 minutes and then rub it off with the same Q-tip gently or a clean dry cloth and voila the imperfection is gone... this wont harm the cockpit unless you rub\clean it with pressure... hope this helps... this is something that I have been doing with all my models that have even the least amount of imperfections such as pictured above and it works perfectly for me... same can be done in the case of diecast albeit with lesser care of rubbing it off gently later...
karun83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:10 AM   #8
Design with Elegance.
 
Upkeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 5,478
Cool Re: Blemished models

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurunet View Post
Hey guys (and gals?)!

I am somewhat new to the forum and starting to build a collection. Unfortunately, I do not have a retailer selling a wide selection of 1/200 civil models close by (not that I know of at least!). So I have to buy on line . . .

Cheers,
Ben
Hi Ben,
Toulouse is a big place, but you do have a local retailer. And funny as it seems, I have bought Gemini diecast models online from them, and plan to purchase other items as well.

Check out Boutique Aero. Fully kitted out shop right across from Airbus.
Link: -> boutique.aero
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Élégance en vol . . . Airfrance-style!
Upkeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:55 AM   #9
EGNX
 
Istari's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Measham, Derbyshire
Age: 30
Posts: 1,861
Default Re: Blemished models

Quote:
Originally Posted by karun83 View Post
for the Qatar, use a Q-tip with a small amount of TAMIYA POLISHING COMPOUND 'FINISH' and apply it on the 'burgundy-red' color that is there on the cockpit. let it dry for say 5 minutes and then rub it off with the same Q-tip gently or a clean dry cloth and voila the imperfection is gone... this wont harm the cockpit unless you rub\clean it with pressure... hope this helps... this is something that I have been doing with all my models that have even the least amount of imperfections such as pictured above and it works perfectly for me... same can be done in the case of diecast albeit with lesser care of rubbing it off gently later...

I second this. If you are feeling very brave and very steady handed, using nail polish remover would work. But you may over-do it and start taking the cockpit windows off.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Istari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #10
Design with Elegance.
 
Upkeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 5,478
Wink Re: Blemished models

Isn't the Qatar 346 made of plastic? If so, I wouldn't use nail polish remover as it is a very aggressive substance that could attack very quickly. You'll be through that windscreen tampo printing before you notice the 'bird strike' disappearing.

Instead, I'd go with Karun's suggestion and work it very lightly. Those Tamiya compounds have saved me on more than one occasion.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Élégance en vol . . . Airfrance-style!
Upkeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
1/200 civil|1/72 military
 
nurunet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toulouse, France
Posts: 879
Default Re: Blemished models

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upkeep View Post
Hi Ben,
Toulouse is a big place, but you do have a local retailer. And funny as it seems, I have bought Gemini diecast models online from them, and plan to purchase other items as well.

Check out Boutique Aero. Fully kitted out shop right across from Airbus.
Link: -> boutique.aero
I knew that there is a nice little model shop downtown, but they do not stock too much non-kit civilian models in 1/200, so I go there only occasionally. I have to check out the Boutique. And that I need someone in Canada to tell me about shops in the vicinity... *blush*

I didn't find anything using their search function for "gemini", but I guess it'll be easier to go there in person. Very cool hint, thanks.
nurunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
1/200 civil|1/72 military
 
nurunet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toulouse, France
Posts: 879
Default Re: Blemished models

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upkeep View Post
Isn't the Qatar 346 made of plastic? If so, I wouldn't use nail polish remover as it is a very aggressive substance that could attack very quickly. You'll be through that windscreen tampo printing before you notice the 'bird strike' disappearing.

Instead, I'd go with Karun's suggestion and work it very lightly. Those Tamiya compounds have saved me on more than one occasion.
Yes, the Hogan Qatar A346 is not diecast. So I might try the Tamiya solution. I do not understand how it might work only on the misprinted part, but as it says "out of stock" for the model in the seller's shop, it might be worth a try.
nurunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
Design with Elegance.
 
Upkeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 5,478
Talking Re: Blemished models

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurunet View Post
I knew that there is a nice little model shop downtown, but they do not stock too much non-kit civilian models in 1/200, so I go there only occasionally. I have to check out the Boutique. And that I need someone in Canada to tell me about shops in the vicinity... *blush*

I didn't find anything using their search function for "gemini", but I guess it'll be easier to go there in person. Very cool hint, thanks.
No worries. The same happened to me a few years back. A collector in London (UK) told me about a shop here that I never knew existed. Yup. A wee-bit embarrassing.

I picked up my coveted Gemini Air France A320 from Boutique.Aero. I think it was the last place on the planet that had them retail. Anyhow, Boutique.Aero is out across from Airbus on what appears to be a service road. Using Google Streetview, you can look across to the Airbus hangars/buildings.

I'm not sure if you just used the search feature, but I use the 'découvre lesrayons et gammes' drop down menu to go to:

Maquettes > Maquettes d'avions de ligne en métal (décorées)

Worth a look regardless, even though you'll have to wade through their 1:400 and 1:500 offerings as well. If B.A fails, I have another one in France for you. (This is what happens when one collects Air France )
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Élégance en vol . . . Airfrance-style!

Last edited by Upkeep; 10-10-2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Add updated info
Upkeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #14
Design with Elegance.
 
Upkeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 5,478
Talking Re: Blemished models

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurunet View Post
Yes, the Hogan Qatar A346 is not diecast. So I might try the Tamiya solution. I do not understand how it might work only on the misprinted part, but as it says "out of stock" for the model in the seller's shop, it might be worth a try.
That is why you apply and rub this stuff as light as possible while making the greatest efforts to isolate your work to just the marks. If you've seen those spies in the movies defusing a bomb, then sweating on the last wire, well . . . you'll be into a similar thing. For the record . . . it can be done with a lot of patience and a delicate touch.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Élégance en vol . . . Airfrance-style!
Upkeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #15
Dr. Diecast I presume?
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 6,686
Default Re: Blemished models

A pencil eraser may remove the red marks.

If little issues like the one on the AA model fuselage really bug you then you should not buy any polished 1/200 models because quite a few are going to have those types of small issues.
N. Eberhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #16
Senior Collector
 
Wingnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Henderson
Posts: 449
Default Re: Blemished models

I had mark on my GJ PSA 727-200 and I thought it was a chip in the paint. I decided to get a wash clothe with warm water and soap and gave it a little scrub. It came right off. It was not a chip but just a smudge. On another model I was able to remove a paint smudge with a Q-tip and some alcohol.
Good luck..
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #17
Remove before flight
 
beltloader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 323
Default Re: Blemished models

on those AA bare metal blemishes dont stress out on it....if you could see the real ones upclose you'll see lots of blemishes,dents,streaks on the skin aswell....so just think about it as the weathered look to your AA models
beltloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #18
Master Collector
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 940
Default Re: Blemished models

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilc777 View Post
In my AA 777 copy I also have a small predrilled hole near the base of the tail where an antenna might have gone.
The hole you mention has been discussed often on here, the first release of the GJ200 AA 772 had the hole in the fuselage, because GJ discovered after they had made the model, AA's 772s don't have that antenna. With the re-release of the AA 772 last year, the hole isn't there.

You will find a few imperfections on the polished metal models, due to the inherent properties of the metal itself. Although I find the fewest polished metal issues with GJ, and the most with Hobby Master.
__________________
Collector of American, Air Canada, British Airways, Pan Am and 1/200 fighter jets

Kevin
NYCAAer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:31 AM   #19
1/200 civil|1/72 military
 
nurunet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toulouse, France
Posts: 879
Default Re: Blemished models

Hey guys!

Thanks for all the comments so far. On the AA 777, I decided that I don't mind too much - those imperfections happen and probably no bare metal bird is free of them.

On the Qatari bird, I contacted diecastbase.com to ask for an exchange and they asked me to send them a photo, which I did. So far, despite sending the photo a second time, I did not get a reply. Does anyone have experience with them when it comes to returns?

Cheers,
Ben
nurunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:50 AM   #20
1/200 civil|1/72 military
 
nurunet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toulouse, France
Posts: 879
Default Re: Blemished models

Okay, they did now reply and promised to send a replacement fuselage.
nurunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
american airlines , gemini 200 , hogan , qatar

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:02 AM.

Latest Threads
- by Wardair
- by 7seven7
- by fordxgt
- by Vandan
 

Models of the Week
 



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.