Hill Aerospace Museum (lots of photos) - DA.C
 

Go Back   DA.C > Local Control > 1:1 Scale Military Aviation

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:09 AM   #1
Wannabe
 
IMPDb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Utah
Age: 37
Posts: 61
Send a message via AIM to IMPDb Send a message via Skype™ to IMPDb
Default Hill Aerospace Museum (lots of photos)

I took my 4 year old boy to Hill Aerospace Museum the other day, accompanied by my father-in-law and his brother. We had an incredible time even though we were only able to spend 3 hours there. I could have been more patient and scored some better angles with some of these. We rushed a little. I will be visiting often and take some better shots.













My son working on the wing.

__________________
Tobin Lee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IMPDb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-16-2010, 05:12 AM   #2
Wannabe
 
IMPDb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Utah
Age: 37
Posts: 61
Send a message via AIM to IMPDb Send a message via Skype™ to IMPDb
Default Re: Hill Aerospace Museum (lots of photos)

Since I forgot my camera, I borrowed my mother-in-laws. Of course the batteries died half way through so the last sets of pictures are even worse than normal being from my phone.













__________________
Tobin Lee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IMPDb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:14 AM   #3
Wannabe
 
IMPDb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Utah
Age: 37
Posts: 61
Send a message via AIM to IMPDb Send a message via Skype™ to IMPDb
Default Re: Hill Aerospace Museum (lots of photos)













__________________
Tobin Lee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IMPDb is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 08-16-2010, 05:16 AM   #4
Wannabe
 
IMPDb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Utah
Age: 37
Posts: 61
Send a message via AIM to IMPDb Send a message via Skype™ to IMPDb
Default Re: Hill Aerospace Museum (lots of photos)

We looked both ways.








Gage and Daddy inside the museum.






__________________
Tobin Lee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IMPDb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:18 AM   #5
Wannabe
 
IMPDb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Utah
Age: 37
Posts: 61
Send a message via AIM to IMPDb Send a message via Skype™ to IMPDb
Default Re: Hill Aerospace Museum (lots of photos)













Saved the best for last. Gage with the Blackbird. Too bad the picture sucks.
__________________
Tobin Lee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IMPDb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:46 PM   #6
Bite Me
 
gospodin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SHV
Posts: 8,776
Default Re: Hill Aerospace Museum (lots of photos)

You had a really nice day with the kid, looks like. Always nice to have your children share your hobbies. Never been to Hill, one of the sites I'd like to visit. Too bad their outdoor exhibits are looking a little shabby...time to give them a new paint job. The ones here at Barksdale are suffering, too...but the museum here is not very impressive. I've got the CW 1/72 Beale SR-71 on order...that plane is parked at the museum.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Steve







Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or imbeciles who really mean it. Mark Twain
gospodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:44 PM   #7
future commercial pilot
 
u.s.airways92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UTAH
Age: 27
Posts: 870
Default Re: Hill Aerospace Museum (lots of photos)

Tobin I'm so glad you represented our Air Museum the best way as possible, and taking your boy is great! Even thought I'm only 15 min. away from it, the last time I went there was before my grandfather passed away, which was in '06. When he would come out from Connecticut that's the first place we would go together and my grandfather would tell me all about the planes there. My grandfather flews in the Korean war, and after that he became a pilot for travelers for the rest of his career. However, I never really had the chance to talk to to him about our favorite hobby...."aviation". After he passed, that's is when I decided I would learn more about aviation and find places to find diecast/plastic models, etc. This is making me to head down there now. Thanks!
__________________
CHRIS TRUMBULL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
u.s.airways92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:42 AM   #8
Wannabe
 
IMPDb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Utah
Age: 37
Posts: 61
Send a message via AIM to IMPDb Send a message via Skype™ to IMPDb
Default Re: Hill Aerospace Museum (lots of photos)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospodin View Post
You had a really nice day with the kid, looks like. Always nice to have your children share your hobbies. Never been to Hill, one of the sites I'd like to visit. Too bad their outdoor exhibits are looking a little shabby...time to give them a new paint job. The ones here at Barksdale are suffering, too...but the museum here is not very impressive. I've got the CW 1/72 Beale SR-71 on order...that plane is parked at the museum.
We did have a good day but I think it's probably easy for him to have a good day anytime he gets out of the house. The way I see it, the more I can involve my family, the better it is for everybody, especially me. The last thing I want is a hobby that takes me away from my kids. For example, if I could get my wife interested in aviation, it might be easier for her to let me buy more die cast models.

I was actually thinking that it would be nice if they at least had a "wash day" where they pressure wash off the bird crap that, in some areas, was bad. I am sure they do on occasion. But if I could come on those days, that would definitely be a bonus. I didn't let it bug me though. Of course paint would be awesome.

That would be awesome to have one of those limited edition Blackbirds. The only one I currently own is a 1:200 scale. Yeah, apparently the one we have here in UT is the only SR-71C they made. Kinda cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u.s.airways92 View Post
Tobin I'm so glad you represented our Air Museum the best way as possible, and taking your boy is great! Even thought I'm only 15 min. away from it, the last time I went there was before my grandfather passed away, which was in '06. When he would come out from Connecticut that's the first place we would go together and my grandfather would tell me all about the planes there. My grandfather flews in the Korean war, and after that he became a pilot for travelers for the rest of his career. However, I never really had the chance to talk to to him about our favorite hobby...."aviation". After he passed, that's is when I decided I would learn more about aviation and find places to find diecast/plastic models, etc. This is making me to head down there now. Thanks!
I am glad you thought they are decent enough Chris. Funny you mentioned how close you are. When I lived in Layton I didn't have this interest like I do now. I am kicking myself because I could have taken advantage of that place and I didn't take the opportunity. Now I am 1.5 hours away and it feels impossible get there these days. That being said, I did tell the wife I was planning on volunteering there. She didn't reject the idea as hard as I would have thought, so that's a good sign.

Neat to hear about your Grandfather. I bet he had some great stories. I can somewhat relate. My Grandfather and I share a great love for off-roading. We both have white, lifted, FZJ80 Land Cruisers. I am trying to get all the time I can with him now, especially since he is starting to get older.

Hey, they are putting on the annual Food-For-Life Day Saturday, September 18th. I am going to try and make it out. It sounds like an excellent time to check out the place since they will let you get in a lot of the aircraft on this day. Let me know if you are interested.
__________________
Tobin Lee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IMPDb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
future commercial pilot
 
u.s.airways92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UTAH
Age: 27
Posts: 870
Default Re: Hill Aerospace Museum (lots of photos)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPDb View Post
I am glad you thought they are decent enough Chris. Funny you mentioned how close you are. When I lived in Layton I didn't have this interest like I do now. I am kicking myself because I could have taken advantage of that place and I didn't take the opportunity. Now I am 1.5 hours away and it feels impossible get there these days. That being said, I did tell the wife I was planning on volunteering there. She didn't reject the idea as hard as I would have thought, so that's a good sign.

Neat to hear about your Grandfather. I bet he had some great stories. I can somewhat relate. My Grandfather and I share a great love for off-roading. We both have white, lifted, FZJ80 Land Cruisers. I am trying to get all the time I can with him now, especially since he is starting to get older.

Hey, they are putting on the annual Food-For-Life Day Saturday, September 18th. I am going to try and make it out. It sounds like an excellent time to check out the place since they will let you get in a lot of the aircraft on this day. Let me know if you are interested.
That sounds great! I will have to see. I'm headed off to Utah State University for college this week so I could be busy with homework, etc. I also do not have a car (parents...) so there's a good chance I won't be able able to.....but will see I actually live in North Ogden so when we go see family in Bountiful or heading down to Salt Lake were always passing it
__________________
CHRIS TRUMBULL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
u.s.airways92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #10
Wannabe
 
IMPDb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Utah
Age: 37
Posts: 61
Send a message via AIM to IMPDb Send a message via Skype™ to IMPDb
Default Re: Hill Aerospace Museum (lots of photos)

Quote:
Originally Posted by u.s.airways92 View Post
That sounds great! I will have to see. I'm headed off to Utah State University for college this week so I could be busy with homework, etc. I also do not have a car (parents...) so there's a good chance I won't be able able to.....but will see I actually live in North Ogden so when we go see family in Bountiful or heading down to Salt Lake were always passing it
Yeah, just keep it in mind if you are around. Good luck at USU and keep up on your homework!
__________________
Tobin Lee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IMPDb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:21 PM   #11
Junior Collector
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: in a building
Posts: 5,968
Default Re: Hill Aerospace Museum (lots of photos)

Great stuff Tobin! Have fun tomorrow.
__________________
LONG LIVE THE DC-10/A300/A310/MD-80/MD-11/IL96/IL86/TU154/TU134/AN2/LANDOR/ZAMBIA/N911NA/747100/RB211


IF YOU HAVE ANY HASEGAWA QUESTIONS PLEASE DIRECT THEM HERE
Bill-ay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:10 AM   #12
Wannabe
 
IMPDb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Utah
Age: 37
Posts: 61
Send a message via AIM to IMPDb Send a message via Skype™ to IMPDb
Default Re: Hill Aerospace Museum (lots of photos)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-ay View Post
Great stuff Tobin! Have fun tomorrow.
Thanks Billy! I need more photography pointers from you though I'm afraid.

Tomorrow will be fun, no doubt. I should have some pics to post.
__________________
Tobin Lee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IMPDb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #13
Master Collector
 
topsox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: manchester england
Posts: 554
Default Re: Hill Aerospace Museum (lots of photos)

Tobin,
Thanks for posting your pictures of Hill afb museum ,I went there in 1998
And took a lot of pictures similar to yours,I was visiting a sick relative who
Moved to Utah from England in the 1960's , her husband worked on the base
And I had a great time visiting the base and museum. You brought back some nice memories for me ,I love the mountains and blue skies you have in Utah
And hope to return one day, don't think your too far away,I wish I lived only an hour and a half away!!
Cheers. Bob (uk)
__________________
manchester city uk
topsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:10 AM   #14
Wannabe
 
IMPDb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Utah
Age: 37
Posts: 61
Send a message via AIM to IMPDb Send a message via Skype™ to IMPDb
Default Re: Hill Aerospace Museum (lots of photos)

Hi Bob,

I am glad they brought back memories for you. Sorry to hear about your relative.

Funny, I only know a few people from the UK all of which are great people. My site admin is from there, also my parents met some people from there who frequent Utah often. They became quick friends and have stayed in each other's homes during visits. I hope to visit that area one day.
__________________
Tobin Lee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IMPDb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:58 AM.

Latest Threads
- by Mesprit
- by chekur6
 

Models of the Week
 



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.