DA.C

DA.C (https://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/index.php)
-   1:1 Scale Commercial Aviation (https://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/1-1-scale-commercial-aviation/)
-   -   If you could take a ride (https://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/1-1-scale-commercial-aviation/309902-if-you-could-take-ride.html)

jcahea 07-02-2019 11:28 AM

If you could take a ride
 
on any airliner/airframe that ever existed what would your choice be?

Hard for me to decide, but most likely BA Concorde.

AirCal 07-02-2019 11:39 AM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
Hmm, the Concorde would be on my list too, but the TWA Constellation would probably be my first choice. And as I worked for AirCal for years, would love to get back on one of their 737-200's for another flight.

Surinam Air 747 07-02-2019 11:54 AM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
2 Attachment(s)
For me definitely the Delta Widget L-1011 as this airliner is the only wide-bodied trijet aircraft i have never ever flown on..

Skosh 07-02-2019 07:34 PM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
This is already proving to be a popular answer for obvious reasons, but Concorde would be my number one choice, hands down. After that, pretty much any of the once common types from the '60s/'70s that were gone from widespread use by the '90s, and I never had a chance to fly on. DC-8, very early DC-9s, 707, 727-100. There's actually a good chance I flew on a 727-100, but was way too young to know or remember.

And although I flew on DC-10s a couple times, I was only 11 or 12, and would love to ride on one again. Worst turbulence I ever experienced was on a DC-10. Loved every second of it. LOL

AirCal 07-02-2019 07:43 PM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
I wouldn't call it "turbulence", but the bumpiest ride I remember was on a PSA Electra flying out of Lake Tahoe. The guy next to me was not a good flyer to begin with, and this trip didn't help him at all!

DC-10_Tony 07-02-2019 09:23 PM

Northwest Orient Airlines 747 Queen of the Skies, followed immediately by the DC-10-40.

Maarlandair 07-03-2019 04:45 AM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
1 Attachment(s)
Fokker F-II for sure:D

Surinam Air 747 07-03-2019 09:24 AM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
1 Attachment(s)
Also the French Sud Aviation Caravelle would be on my list together with the TWA Super Constellation & United Airlines DC-7C (Seven Seas)

jcahea 07-03-2019 11:31 AM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
I flew on the China Airlines Caravelle back in the 70's! Was neat!

Some great choices guys!

My roughest flight was probably a tie between a TWA 707 back in early 70's from Hawaii to Guam with many injured due to hitting ceiling! The other was a United 744 Battleship making its way from LAX to SDY in a really bad storm. You know its bad when you here over the intercom from the cockpit "sit down seat belts now" and your looking down toward the front of the plane and the angle is like your favorite roller coaster ride and lightning striking all around! That was in 07 when Sydney was being pounded with storms and heavy rain.

dboyd001 07-03-2019 12:04 PM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
I've flown on some great planes: 747, 737, L-1011, DC-9, 727... pedestrian maybe.
More isoteric: AN-2, F-27, F-28, A300, Trident, Caravelle,
Classics: DC-3/C-47, CV-440, 707, BAC 1-11
Military: C-130, C-5A, F/A-18B, C-2 (helicopters: CH-46, SH-3, CH-47, Huey)

What I'd like to fly on: PBY-5A, JU-52, Shuttle Orbiter, Comet 4C, AN-225 and the Starship Enterprise (preferably Kirk's)

.... My wish list has a lot of impossibilities to be sure.

Dave

jcahea 07-03-2019 12:45 PM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
Nice! Yeah I thought about adding the Shuttle Orbiter as well!

jcahea 07-03-2019 12:47 PM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
Comet would be neat as well!

Adrian 07-03-2019 04:23 PM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcahea (Post 2706066)
Comet would be neat as well!

I've flown in two RAF Comet Mk.2s and all five Comet Mk.4Cs. I just missed out on a free Concorde flight when it was doing flight trials.:sad:

European Collector 07-06-2019 07:44 PM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
6 Attachment(s)
There are a couple i'd like to fly on (again)...

Kitty Hawk 1903 07-06-2019 09:30 PM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
1 Attachment(s)
Pan Am 747. LAX-HNL.

Kitty Hawk 1903 07-06-2019 09:36 PM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surinam Air 747 (Post 2705842)
For me definitely the Delta Widget L-1011 as this airliner is the only wide-bodied trijet aircraft i have never ever flown on..

I guess were even. I have flown on several versions of the L-1011, but not the MD-11. You are the opposite.

stevec 07-07-2019 06:08 AM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
For me it would have to be a VC-10 followed by Concorde

Aussiejets 07-07-2019 07:37 AM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
A 707 of any type

Baerke 07-07-2019 07:39 AM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
Very nice topic! For me DC7c, Connie, 707, Tristar, DC10, 747-100 and many others...

HTF200 07-07-2019 10:15 AM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
1 Attachment(s)
Eat your hearts out guys

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...62595096891425

DC-10_Tony 07-07-2019 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HTF200 (Post 2706962)

Might cost you a dollar...

HTF200 07-07-2019 11:09 AM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC-10_Tony (Post 2706964)
Might cost you a dollar...


Not even. They won't let me, i exceed MTOW.

DC-10_Tony 07-07-2019 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HTF200 (Post 2706978)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC-10_Tony (Post 2706964)
Might cost you a dollar...


Not even. They won't let me, i exceed MTOW.

Nice. Lol

jcahea 07-07-2019 01:00 PM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
Plus another dollar for cotton Candy!

Also would love to fly on a VC-10. That PA 747 Pic is nice!

Sean's AA DC-10 07-07-2019 01:19 PM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
I’m nostalgic. I think I’d go back to my first flight. Last row middle seat again, please.

https://travelupdate.boardingarea.co...0-1200x640.jpg

Kitty Hawk 1903 07-07-2019 01:42 PM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean's AA DC-10 (Post 2707004)
I’m nostalgic. I think I’d go back to my first flight. Last row middle seat again, please.

https://travelupdate.boardingarea.co...0-1200x640.jpg

One of, if not the nicest looking DC-10-10. IMO.

NYCAAer 07-09-2019 01:22 PM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
Biggest regret was not having taken advantage of the discount available to other airline employees that British Airways offered to fly on Concorde. When I started with AA in ‘89, I think it was $400. When it was retired in 2003, it had gone up to $750, but still a bargain!

It was a complicated process- you had to write a letter to British Airways’ sales office in New York, giving them a list of three possible dates you could travel. You were only allowed to fly one way, so most people I know flew it from LHR to JFK, because I guess the flying time was a little longer, thereby making the most of the experience. Then British Airways would send a letter back to you telling which date of the three was available. Then you would write back and send them a check along with your acceptance letter. This was all done via snail mail, even when the internet came about. I could kick myself for not having done it, and a lot of my co-workers say the same thing!

Another ride that I wish I had taken was before I was around, flying on a Pan Am 707 in the glory days of the 1960s in their “President Special” First Class. I suppose it would have been possible, since I was a toddler in the late ‘60s, but back then people didn’t travel overseas like they do now. Going to Europe back then was a big deal.

The last one is still possible, flying on an American DC-3. The Flagship Detroit tours around North America and you can reserve a joy ride. The cabin has been restored to the way it looked when it was delivered in 1937, and they have a stewardess in the uniform of the day.

NYCAAer 07-09-2019 01:32 PM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean's AA DC-10 (Post 2707004)
I’m nostalgic. I think I’d go back to my first flight. Last row middle seat again, please.

https://travelupdate.boardingarea.co...0-1200x640.jpg

I worked onboard those things in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s. To a new hire flight attendant, it was overwhelming, and everyone new was terrified of working the lower lobe galley. It was a challenging position if you had never done it, and I used to have nightmares when I was on call that I would be assigned a trip to work down there. Once I dreamt that I went down in the lift to the galley and once I got down there, it was as big as a Costco, with aisle after aisle and it went on forever! I never got called to work the galley.

We used to work some really short haul flights on the DC-10, too. JFK-Bermuda and back, with a full meal service on both legs. That was always a hustle. And I remember San Juan to St. Maarten with a full cocktail service. 34 in first class, 256 in coach, and full!

fordxgt 07-09-2019 02:28 PM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
I don't know if I ever flew on one in my childhood (I'm 26 now) but I would love to fly on my favorite aircraft, a 727-200. I think the only way I could do it now is to spend $5k :eek: on a Zero G flight. Runner-up would be to fly on a Concorde though

Surinam Air 747 07-10-2019 01:54 PM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordxgt (Post 2707450)
but I would love to fly on my favorite aircraft, a 727-200.

I remember a time when Delta & American had so many of them but the last time i flew on the 727-200 was with Delta within the U.S & on a charter flight in 2003 with Miami based Miami Air also with a 727-200..

dylan 07-10-2019 02:23 PM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCAAer (Post 2707424)
Biggest regret was not having taken advantage of the discount available to other airline employees that British Airways offered to fly on Concorde. When I started with AA in ‘89, I think it was $400. When it was retired in 2003, it had gone up to $750, but still a bargain!

It was a complicated process- you had to write a letter to British Airways’ sales office in New York, giving them a list of three possible dates you could travel. You were only allowed to fly one way, so most people I know flew it from LHR to JFK, because I guess the flying time was a little longer, thereby making the most of the experience. Then British Airways would send a letter back to you telling which date of the three was available. Then you would write back and send them a check along with your acceptance letter. This was all done via snail mail, even when the internet came about. I could kick myself for not having done it, and a lot of my co-workers say the same thing!

Another ride that I wish I had taken was before I was around, flying on a Pan Am 707 in the glory days of the 1960s in their “President Special” First Class. I suppose it would have been possible, since I was a toddler in the late ‘60s, but back then people didn’t travel overseas like they do now. Going to Europe back then was a big deal.

The last one is still possible, flying on an American DC-3. The Flagship Detroit tours around North America and you can reserve a joy ride. The cabin has been restored to the way it looked when it was delivered in 1937, and they have a stewardess in the uniform of the day.

I took advantage of this when I was a ramper for Delta on August 5th, 2000, just ten day after AF 4591 and Ten days before BA shut down on 8-15-00 for 16 months. I went JFK-LHR on G-BOAA. It was one of the most amazing experiences I’ve ever had. It cost me $770 USD, but it was positive space and to experience not only the flight, but the “Concorde Room” in JFK was well worth the cost to a poor Av Geek like me.

NYCAAer 07-10-2019 03:14 PM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dylan (Post 2707812)
I took advantage of this when I was a ramper for Delta on August 5th, 2000, just ten day after AF 4591 and Ten days before BA shut down on 8-15-00 for 16 months. I went JFK-LHR on G-BOAA. It was one of the most amazing experiences I’ve ever had. It cost me $770 USD, but it was positive space and to experience not only the flight, but the “Concorde Room” in JFK was well worth the cost to a poor Av Geek like me.

I remember the Concorde Rooms at both JFK and LHR. They still use the one at JFK for First Class passengers.

Awesome you got to fly it. I can imagine that it must have been incredible, just going from New York to London in 3 hours.

crownvic 07-10-2019 03:21 PM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
My rare rides were:

Concorde..MCO-JFK-LHR-JFK-MCO all in the same day...
Mercure Orly Lyons
Caravelle Lyons Orly PHL-ROC-PHL
JU-52 Gainesville Florida

other notables...
YS 11 Nord 262 DC-3 DC-7
L-1011
MD-11
DC-10
every other Boeing 70's to current
every other Douglas 70's to current
Convair 440 580 640
G1

NYCAAer 07-10-2019 03:38 PM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordxgt (Post 2707450)
I don't know if I ever flew on one in my childhood (I'm 26 now) but I would love to fly on my favorite aircraft, a 727-200. I think the only way I could do it now is to spend $5k :eek: on a Zero G flight. Runner-up would be to fly on a Concorde though

I flew as a passenger on the 727-200 with American, Eastern and USAir. I also flew the original 727-100 with American. Then worked aboard the AA 722 as a flight attendant, and one leg during initial training on the 727-100. It was a cool aircraft to fly as a passenger when I was a kid in the 1970s and early 1980s, but I wasn’t so keen on it as a flight attendant in the late 80s. By the time I became a flight attendant, there was the next generation of aircraft flying domestically, the Super 80. I always wanted to work the newest equipment, and I still do today.

The interiors of the 727s reflected the era in which they flew. In the ‘70s and early ‘80s, American had rust and red color seats, with vinyl head rest covers that had a red, white and blue stripe along the border. The bulkheads were covered with a carpet-like tapestry of a barnyard scene with a farmhouse, in the same rust and red, with brown, avocado green and harvest gold. The walls that weren’t bulkheads, such as by the lavatories, were brown with gold pinstripes in a geometric “AA” pattern. By the mid ‘80s, they were updated to sky blue and beige, to match the interiors of the then-new Super 80s and 767-200s. A big improvement.

I remember thinking that Eastern had the ugliest interior. The seats were upholstered in a swirl fabric pattern, orange swirled with brown, yellow swirled with brown, and purple swirled with brown, alternating. The walls were yellow, including the sidewalls, if I remember correctly. Combine that with the “breen” and red flight attendant uniforms and you had instant air sickness.

The USAir 727-200s had the nicest interiors in the late ‘70s/early ‘80s time frame, because they were all new aircraft, and had that new airplane smell, like the way a new car smells when you get into it. The seats were brown with a little bit of rust and all the same throughout the cabin, unlike AA and EAL that had alternating colors. The walls were bright white. The combination of being new and the white walls made it the cheeriest looking of the bunch.

HEYEY_AVIATION 07-10-2019 09:15 PM

Re: If you could take a ride
 
1. Air Rum Tristar
https://a4.pbase.com/g3/20/742920/2/...2.7qFcm6la.jpg
2. Sky Gate Tristar
https://cdn.jetphotos.com/full/1/43262_1208280127.jpg
3. Barq Aviation Tristar (specifically N194AT)
https://cdn.jetphotos.com/full/4/89568_1359808758.jpg
4. Georgian Cargo Airlines Tristar (specifically 3C-QRL)
https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/a...5259-large.jpg
5. IRS Airlines 747-200
https://cdn.jetphotos.com/full/2/41378_1071080536.jpg

As you can tell my list is dominated by L1011's and weird, obscure airlines and liveries.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.