Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > Military Model Aircraft

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-02-2011, 06:05 AM   #1
Master Collector
 
CarbonPlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 920
Default A-10A Thunderbolt II 23rd TFW (Provisional)

1:72 HM

A-10A Thunderbolt II 23rd TFW (Provisional)
Saudi Arabia, Operation Desert Storm 1991
"Chopper Popper"

I posted test pics in an earlier thread. Here are the 'regular' pics.

























CarbonPlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Master Collector
 
virtual_pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 567
Default Re: A-10A Thunderbolt II 23rd TFW (Provisional)

I pre-ordered this one, its great! Haven't had the chance to look at it as of yet but I sure am looking forward to.
virtual_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 43
Posts: 1,726
Default Re: A-10A Thunderbolt II 23rd TFW (Provisional)

Great model and as usual...awesome pictures...
aradrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:05 AM   #4
Just morphing...
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mt Pleasant Sth Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 3,541
Default Re: A-10A Thunderbolt II 23rd TFW (Provisional)

Beautiful model and aircraft with only one observation. The seam on the engine nacelles is quite a shame but everything else looks excellent.
QFA388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
Master Collector
 
CarbonPlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 920
Default Re: A-10A Thunderbolt II 23rd TFW (Provisional)

Thanks for your replies guys, appreciate it

The seam is also on my other A-10, it's probably HM's way of assembling the parts. So long as they keep their prices reasonable, I'll live with it
CarbonPlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
Collector
 
Woody715's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 110
Default Re: A-10A Thunderbolt II 23rd TFW (Provisional)

Just wondering about the name "Chopper Popper" - presuming that the A10 downed some Iraqi choppers....anyone have more particulars??? Thanks.
Woody715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #7
Master Collector
 
CarbonPlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 920
Default Re: A-10A Thunderbolt II 23rd TFW (Provisional)

The following is what HM says about the history of the airplane:

The 23rd TFW was normally based out of England AFB, La. But in 1991 during Operation Desert Storm they were assigned to the 706th TFS, 926th TFG in Saudi Arabia. On February 6, 1991 Captain Robert Swain spotted 2 Iraqi helicopters speeding across the desert. The helicopters split in opposite directions so Captain Swain pursued the south-bound. Swain first attempted to use an AIM-9L missiles but couldn’t lock on so the second pass he fired about 300 rounds of his 30mm gun causing the helicopter to explode. This was the first ever air-to-air kill by an A-10 so the aircraft was named the “Chopper Popper”.


If you look at the nose of the A-10, there appears to be a kill marking.
CarbonPlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:53 AM   #8
Bite Me
 
gospodin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SHV
Posts: 8,211
Default Re: A-10A Thunderbolt II 23rd TFW (Provisional)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QFA388 View Post
Beautiful model and aircraft with only one observation. The seam on the engine nacelles is quite a shame but everything else looks excellent.
How I deal with the seam is that it's where the nacelle opens for maintenance, so there would be a seam there anyway. Maybe that's not too accurate, but it works for me.
__________________
Steve







Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or imbeciles who really mean it. Mark Twain
gospodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #9
Collector
 
Woody715's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 110
Default Re: A-10A Thunderbolt II 23rd TFW (Provisional)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonPlane View Post
The following is what HM says about the history of the airplane:

The 23rd TFW was normally based out of England AFB, La. But in 1991 during Operation Desert Storm they were assigned to the 706th TFS, 926th TFG in Saudi Arabia. On February 6, 1991 Captain Robert Swain spotted 2 Iraqi helicopters speeding across the desert. The helicopters split in opposite directions so Captain Swain pursued the south-bound. Swain first attempted to use an AIM-9L missiles but couldn’t lock on so the second pass he fired about 300 rounds of his 30mm gun causing the helicopter to explode. This was the first ever air-to-air kill by an A-10 so the aircraft was named the “Chopper Popper”.


If you look at the nose of the A-10, there appears to be a kill marking.
Thanks for the history Carbon...
Woody715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:43 AM   #10
Space Cadet
 
derekrodneysim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kuching
Age: 38
Posts: 21
Default Re: A-10A Thunderbolt II 23rd TFW (Provisional)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonPlane View Post
The following is what HM says about the history of the airplane:

The 23rd TFW was normally based out of England AFB, La. But in 1991 during Operation Desert Storm they were assigned to the 706th TFS, 926th TFG in Saudi Arabia. On February 6, 1991 Captain Robert Swain spotted 2 Iraqi helicopters speeding across the desert. The helicopters split in opposite directions so Captain Swain pursued the south-bound. Swain first attempted to use an AIM-9L missiles but couldn’t lock on so the second pass he fired about 300 rounds of his 30mm gun causing the helicopter to explode. This was the first ever air-to-air kill by an A-10 so the aircraft was named the “Chopper Popper”.


If you look at the nose of the A-10, there appears to be a kill marking.
That's a cool story!
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #11
Junior Collector
 
kreatinfosfat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Turkey
Posts: 5
Default Re: A-10A Thunderbolt II 23rd TFW (Provisional)

excellent work. Congratulations !
kreatinfosfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:47 AM   #12
Fly MASwings
 
Tamizi TS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sibu,Sarawak,Malaysia
Age: 28
Posts: 699
Default Re: A-10A Thunderbolt II 23rd TFW (Provisional)

It's beautiful;and i've managed to find a retailer selling this model for MYR 260.
__________________
Photos by Tamizi Hj Tamby-MyAviation.net


NEW ARRIVALS
*Qatar Airways A330-200
(Phoenix 1:400)


INCOMING MODELS
* Malaysian Airline System Fokker 27
(Aeroclassics 1:400)
*AirAsia B737-300 (Aeroclassics 1:400)
Tamizi TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #13
Master Collector
 
CarbonPlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 920
Default Re: A-10A Thunderbolt II 23rd TFW (Provisional)

Thanks

It seems the "forums" are all about the A-10. Here's the other one being discussed:

A-10A Thunderbolt II
75th Fighter Squadron
Operation Iraqi Freedom
7 April 2003 "Killer Chick"

CarbonPlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #14
Master Collector
 
CarbonPlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 920
Default Re: A-10A Thunderbolt II 23rd TFW (Provisional)

There's a remarkable story to the "Killer Chick" A-10 too, here's the extract from the box:

On April 7 2003 Capt. Kim Campbell of the 75th FS deployed in her A-10A Warthog. As part of the 332nd Air Expeditionary Wing during OIF the mission was to provide close air support over Baghdad for ground troops. Ready to begin the return flight her aircraft was struck by enemy fire destroying all hydraulic systems. After a brief time Capt. Campbell realized she was going to have to fly the aircraft without hydraulic assistance or bail out over Baghdad, which really wasn’t an option in her mind.

Her flight lead assessed the damage and determined that the aircraft had hits to the rear, including the horizontal stabilizer, tail section and engine cowling. Luckily the damage didn’t affect the flight control surfaces or landing gear. There were two options now, continue to fly the aircraft clear of Baghdad and bail out or try to return to base and attempt a landing.

Capt. Campbell felt the aircraft was operating well so return to base became the priority. The aircraft made a safe landing and the next problem was staying on the runway and stopping. Without hydraulics there are no speed brakes, brakes or steering.

When it was all over Capt. Campbell praised the A-10 for its ability to sustain heavy damage and continue to fly. This occurrence earned Capt. Kim Campbell the nickname “Killer Chick”.
CarbonPlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #15
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 43
Posts: 1,726
Default Re: A-10A Thunderbolt II 23rd TFW (Provisional)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonPlane View Post
There's a remarkable story to the "Killer Chick" A-10 too, here's the extract from the box:

On April 7 2003 Capt. Kim Campbell of the 75th FS deployed in her A-10A Warthog. As part of the 332nd Air Expeditionary Wing during OIF the mission was to provide close air support over Baghdad for ground troops. Ready to begin the return flight her aircraft was struck by enemy fire destroying all hydraulic systems. After a brief time Capt. Campbell realized she was going to have to fly the aircraft without hydraulic assistance or bail out over Baghdad, which really wasn’t an option in her mind.

Her flight lead assessed the damage and determined that the aircraft had hits to the rear, including the horizontal stabilizer, tail section and engine cowling. Luckily the damage didn’t affect the flight control surfaces or landing gear. There were two options now, continue to fly the aircraft clear of Baghdad and bail out or try to return to base and attempt a landing.

Capt. Campbell felt the aircraft was operating well so return to base became the priority. The aircraft made a safe landing and the next problem was staying on the runway and stopping. Without hydraulics there are no speed brakes, brakes or steering.

When it was all over Capt. Campbell praised the A-10 for its ability to sustain heavy damage and continue to fly. This occurrence earned Capt. Kim Campbell the nickname “Killer Chick”.
Fascinating story...The A10 trully is a tough plane...
I did no realize that Capt. Kim Campbell is actually a female pilot officer...
Here's more reading about her>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Campbell_(pilot)

Last edited by aradrom; 01-22-2011 at 11:26 AM.
aradrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:19 AM   #16
Insane Collector
 
Eagle Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Posts: 1,246
Default Re: A-10A Thunderbolt II 23rd TFW (Provisional)

The A-10 was never really on my wishlist however these photos are making me think again. I see why Sachiel is keen on adding the Thunderbolt to his collection. Now which one shall I go for?
__________________
|
|
Eagle Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:41 AM   #17
Insane Collector
 
mar_ji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: the netherlands
Posts: 1,634
Default Re: A-10A Thunderbolt II 23rd TFW (Provisional)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Driver View Post
The A-10 was never really on my wishlist however these photos are making me think again. I see why Sachiel is keen on adding the Thunderbolt to his collection. Now which one shall I go for?
Doesnt the A-10 lady driver attract you ?........
mar_ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #18
Insane Collector
 
Eagle Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Posts: 1,246
Default Re: A-10A Thunderbolt II 23rd TFW (Provisional)

Thank you Mar_ji

I was going to mention something about 'women drivers' however this forum has enough controversial postings. The history of Killer Chick certainly makes for an interesting read. On the other hand Chopper Popper has a good history too. When you think about it collecting diecast models is a fascinating hobby.

Perhaps Harry Hill can lend a hand. He'll say 'I like the Killer Chick, I like the Chopper Popper but which is better? There's only one way to find out...........' I never was good at doing impressions

What do you think of CarbonPlane's photographs Mar_ji? They're very good aren't they
__________________
|
|
Eagle Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #19
keygrip
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Manila
Posts: 20
Default Re: A-10A Thunderbolt II 23rd TFW (Provisional)

I was just wondering if your A-10 came with a pilot? I bought this model recently, the chopper popper, and there was no pilot included.
keygrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #20
Senior Collector
 
bragadox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Saarland
Posts: 413
Default Re: A-10A Thunderbolt II 23rd TFW (Provisional)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keygrip View Post
I was just wondering if your A-10 came with a pilot? I bought this model recently, the chopper popper, and there was no pilot included.
Nothing wrong here. HMs A-10 always comes without a pilot figure.

Greets
Braggel


.
bragadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #21
keygrip
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Manila
Posts: 20
Default Re: A-10A Thunderbolt II 23rd TFW (Provisional)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bragadox View Post
Nothing wrong here. HMs A-10 always comes without a pilot figure.

Greets
Braggel


.
Thanks braggel! Does HM actually sell modern jet fighter pilot figures? The ones they have are world war II.

This is A-10 is a nice model. I'm wondering if the 'H' in the nose section signified the chopper kill of the plane?
keygrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:37 AM   #22
Senior Collector
 
bragadox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Saarland
Posts: 413
Default Re: A-10A Thunderbolt II 23rd TFW (Provisional)

Hi keygrip.

Most of the Hobbymaster models have a pilot included. But they sell them separately too.
Just take a look HERE
Really no masterpieces, but they to their job to fill the empty seat...

.
bragadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:11 PM.

Latest Threads
- by mace990
- by travsuz
 

Models of the Week
 



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Copyright © 1998 - 2012, DiecastAircraft.com & Wings900.com - All rights reserved
AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

© 1997-2014 DiecastAircraftForum.com. This website, the content, the design and the pictures and are intended for public non commercial use, and may be redistributed, freely printed, or electronically reproduced in its complete and unaltered form provided distribution is for private use only. Partial and other distribution means require the permission of Wings900. All rights reserved.