Go Back   DA.C > Local Control > 1:1 Scale Military Aviation

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
Delta Collector
 
N708DN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Age: 22
Posts: 288
Default With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it

Because it seems like a screaming metal death trap (I guess you can see I am a Boeing fan)
N708DN is offline  
Old 05-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
C-FITL
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it

Well the A330 is a very suffisticated jet, it has had some issues/crashes lately, but the Air Libya crash was a fault of not the aircraft, but weather or pilot (not sure). It is still a safe aircraft, and I will be flying one one this summer. I do think that the US Goverment should stick with 757 or 747.
 
Old 05-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,665
Default Re: With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it

The 767 has also been in a crash or two.. or more. Does that make it a SCAREPLANE that shouldn't be the basis for a military contract?

This is a train wreck of a topic.
__________________


AnonCollector is offline  
Old 05-13-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
ansettcat
 
steve kicic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: adelaide south australia
Posts: 783
Default Re: With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-FITL View Post
Well the A330 is a very suffisticated jet, it has had some issues/crashes lately, but the Air Libya crash was a fault of not the aircraft, but weather or pilot (not sure). It is still a safe aircraft, and I will be flying one one this summer. I do think that the US Goverment should stick with 757 or 747.
weather conditions at the time were ideal, I did read somewhere the pilot was having tech difficulties with the aircraft and requested emergency services, to be available.
A friend of mine was a Capt on B777 and over year ago was transferred onto A330-300, he was saying it takes a lot of getting used to the 330, but once familiar with it he reckons its pretty good. Time will tell what went terribly wrong, its a bit worrying that the 330 has been involved with some strange incidents, Qantas losing alt some time ago, and recent fatal accidents. Is there an undiagnosed problem with the aircraft, is it human error, what? I did read at Tripoli apt, there was a problem with a landing aid or something and pilots were advised not to use it, guess soon enough the truth will be known.
__________________
Proud supporter of accurate 400 scale GSE being made here in Australia
www.orncastings.com
Glad to be part of the Model Aircraft Community!!!
steve kicic is offline  
Old 05-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
Cornish Game Hen
 
WestjetterO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One Tree Hill
Posts: 3,098
Send a message via MSN to WestjetterO
Default Re: With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it

My spidey senses are telling me that all hell is about to break loose on this thread. Maybe it's just the idea that a lot of bashing threads start out like this. But don't take it from me...
__________________


Recent Flights:
-DL1042 RIC-ATL 7.29.13. (MD88)
-DL2442 ATL-YYZ 7.29.13. (A319)

-WS674 YYC-YYZ 8.24.13. (B736)
WestjetterO is offline  
Old 05-13-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
addicted
 
champpitbull2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 932
Default Re: With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it

It's way to early to blame anyone or anything for the crash. Truth be told, more then 90% of crashes are caused by pilot error. Blame the airplane before the investigation is through at your own peril.
champpitbull2 is offline  
Old 05-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #7
Insane Collector
 
lanceb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,734
Default Re: With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it

It was pretty much a brand new aircraft (whats being reported in AU). So I doubt it is a aircraft related incident.

I doubt you can hardly say its an Airbus problem. Try looking at maintaince, airline training, weather etc and these will affect what happens in that cockpit. Its not like going in the air, in an Airbus A330 is taking chances with your life because it might disintegrate or decide to have a nose dive. Its normally what role humans play, gives the outcome.

I dont know if my point gets across with what I have posted, but you get the jist
lanceb is offline  
Old 05-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #8
Insane Collector
 
United Airlines DC-10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,550
Default Re: With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it

The Boeing 767 has been in service for about 30 years now, it has had 11 hull loses with around 550 deaths.

The most recent non-terror related 767 crash was in 1999 when Egypt Air 990 crashed.

The A330 was built in 1992 and has had 3 hull loses with 338 fatalities.



Both of these planes have pretty remarkable saftey records. However, recently the A330 has been suffering a bit more than the 767 and it is new technology...
United Airlines DC-10 is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 01:00 AM   #9
Insane Collector
 
HTF200's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,465
Default Re: With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it

Quote:
Originally Posted by N708DN View Post
Because it seems like a screaming metal death trap (I guess you can see I am a Boeing fan)
you post the same thing almost everytime, your record is scratched.
HTF200 is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 01:20 AM   #10
Junior Collector
 
mz_dreamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Coffs Harbour
Posts: 33
Send a message via MSN to mz_dreamliner
Default Re: With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it

The reports so far have said that weather was fine and not an issue so that if it wasn't the plane at fault or weather that just leaves pilot error, but reports from witnesses say the plane exploded and disintegrated before touching down?

What could the pilot possibly do to make the entire plane explode before it even touched the ground?

I think theres more chance it is an Airbus problem.

And how can they rule terrorism out so fast?
__________________

Last edited by mz_dreamliner; 05-14-2010 at 01:23 AM.
mz_dreamliner is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 01:36 AM   #11
ansettcat
 
steve kicic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: adelaide south australia
Posts: 783
Default Re: With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it

If for example it was a bomb, the airline industry in many regions would come to a standstill, so ruling out a terrorist attack regains the flying public's confidence, even if they are pulling the wool over our eyes!
__________________
Proud supporter of accurate 400 scale GSE being made here in Australia
www.orncastings.com
Glad to be part of the Model Aircraft Community!!!
steve kicic is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 01:56 AM   #12
"Pure Alaskan"
 
Kris Air's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: 35,000 feet up.
Age: 18
Posts: 257
Default Re: With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it

Why would the U.S. want a forgien plane? They actually are not that safe through large manufactoring like there is many inccidents were the wheel goes back in the plane or falls off. Also think about the jetblue 320 who had a bent wheel on a boeing its unheard of! Well I guess I am just a Boeing fan!
__________________

Kris Air is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 02:29 AM   #13
Insane Collector
 
lanceb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,734
Default Re: With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it

If it was a bomb, I doubt the wreakage we are seeing is the type we would see
lanceb is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 04:23 AM   #14
Just morphing...
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mt Pleasant Sth Australia
Age: 52
Posts: 3,467
Default Re: With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it

What??? Why would the US not want what?
Boeing is not a large manufacturer of jets? If your statement is factual "cough" bull**** "cough" then Boeing are right up there.

God these armchair expert opinions crack me up!

I'm an aviation fan not some cheerleader for either A or B.
Both make excellent products.
QFA388 is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 04:26 AM   #15
Zero tolerance for trolls
 
AirCanada881's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bratislava
Age: 32
Posts: 2,083
Send a message via AIM to AirCanada881 Send a message via MSN to AirCanada881 Send a message via Yahoo to AirCanada881 Send a message via Skype™ to AirCanada881
Default Re: With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it

The terrorist idea was eliminated because why would a bomb explode on short final? A more logical time would be over a big city or mid air.

I have flown several times on the A330 and it's my favorite twin jetter, very quiet and comfortable. I'm sick of those bashing threads between Boeing and Airbus. You can be a Boeing fan, or Airbus fan without being derogatory to the competition. I don't think Airbus would own as many market shares as they do if their planes were sub par to Boeing's.... Common sense, ANYONE?
__________________
Inbound Arrivals:
New friends :-)
AirCanada881 is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 05:34 AM   #16
Member
 
ced ampo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Calapan, Oriental Mindoro, Philippines
Age: 16
Posts: 597
Default Re: With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonCollector View Post
The 767 has also been in a crash or two.. or more. Does that make it a SCAREPLANE that shouldn't be the basis for a military contract?

This is a train wreck of a topic.

You probably mean SCAREING
__________________
ced ampo is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 05:48 AM   #17
Going, Going, Gone.....
 
1:200Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 10,503
Default Re: With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCanada881 View Post
I have flown several times on the A330 and it's my favorite twin jetter, very quiet and comfortable.
I totally agree with you, the Airbus A330 is such a great jet to fly on!
1:200Freak is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 07:00 AM   #18
-<-' Collector '->-
 
Thomas32125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Frankfurt am Main
Posts: 2,053
Default Re: With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it

Quote:
Originally Posted by N708DN View Post
Because it seems like a screaming metal death trap (I guess you can see I am a Boeing fan)
Why does the fact that you are a Boeing fan justify that you make statements like an idiot!? I personally have no favour, neither for Boeing, nor for Airbus, because i think that they are both great manufacturers with excellent products. The fact that you have more and more crashes with Airbusses is caused by the fact, that more and more Airbus planes are flying.. The A330 is a hot-seller and the 767's days are numbered, most of them will be phased out soon or are phased out in passenger service...

News about the Afriqiyah crash say, that all landing systems at Tripoli Airport were off due to technical problems (no ILS at all) and that the pilots had to focus against the rising sun. Well, usually you need 7 reasons why a plane is crashing, it will be interesting to see, what the others were. Do you remember the Boeing 737-800WL crash of Star Alliance member Turkish Airlines at AMS last year? The plane was only six years old and crashed only 0.93mi before the runway in good weather conditions. The crash was caused primarily by the engine's automated reaction which was triggered by a faulty radio altimeter, which had failed twice in the previous 25 hours. This caused the autothrottle to decrease the engine power to idle during approach and the crew noticed this too late to take appropriate action to increase the throttle and recover the aircraft before it stalled and crashed. If you narrow your point of view to an emotional one, not based on facts, one could tend to say: A new 738? Oh my god - Ground them all, ground them all!! The fact that it was a 738, had nothing to do with crash - Like said in another thread: I can give you a new car, but if you can't drive it - that fact that it is new won't matter when you crash into the next wall..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Air View Post
Why would the U.S. want a forgien plane? They actually are not that safe through large manufactoring like there is many inccidents were the wheel goes back in the plane or falls off. Also think about the jetblue 320 who had a bent wheel on a boeing its unheard of! Well I guess I am just a Boeing fan!
What would the US manufacturers do, if they couldn't export their products to foreign contries?? Does your imaginativeness stop at the border of your country? Have you ever been to a single lecture about business and globalization? Make up your mind or give me a break with your narrow-minded bull*#"~..
__________________
Thomas32125 is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 07:44 AM   #19
Bite Me
 
gospodin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SHV
Posts: 8,164
Default Re: With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it

I love how you guys rise to this kind of crap like sharks to chum. As Anon pointed out, this is a worthless thread.
__________________
Steve







Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or imbeciles who really mean it. Mark Twain
gospodin is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #20
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,665
Default Re: With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ced ampo View Post
You probably mean SCAREING
Aha. I was trying to make a Boeing pun, but couldn't figure one out.
__________________


AnonCollector is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #21
Master Collector
 
lufthansa340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ny
Age: 31
Posts: 773
Default Re: With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it

Well, we filled our monthly quota for a useless Boeing vs. Airbus thread. Speculation... is well just speculation. I think we should wait for some definitive government inquiries before we decide that this plane blew up or dove head first into the ground because the word "Airbus" is written on it.

Remember what happens when you "A$$ out of U and ME" you know the causes of this type of terrible tragedy.
lufthansa340 is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #22
Cornish Game Hen
 
WestjetterO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One Tree Hill
Posts: 3,098
Send a message via MSN to WestjetterO
Default Re: With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it

Seriously. There are better things to do if you're bored than create bashing threads. This thread deserves my seal of approval:


Congrats!
__________________


Recent Flights:
-DL1042 RIC-ATL 7.29.13. (MD88)
-DL2442 ATL-YYZ 7.29.13. (A319)

-WS674 YYC-YYZ 8.24.13. (B736)
WestjetterO is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #23
Contrail Chaser...
 
tREv d.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 21
Posts: 1,525
Default Re: With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it

Quote:
Originally Posted by N708DN View Post
With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it
Because the A330 is much better aircraft performance and economic wise. It is also more modern. I think taking patriotism over the most reliable choice is to far.
__________________
Singer-Songwriter | Livery Artist

Last edited by tREv d.; 05-14-2010 at 03:47 PM.
tREv d. is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #24
addicted
 
champpitbull2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 932
Default Re: With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tREv d. View Post
Because the A330 is much better aircraft performance and economic wise. It is also more modern. I think taking patriotism over the most reliable choice is to far.
If you want to debate the merits of the USAF Tanker contract their are more then a few threads in this section devoted to it. No sense in starting another one, or letting this devolve into a Boeing and Airbus bashing contest. As said before in other ways, this thread is useless, and I beleive it's intended goal is to start a large argument. Lets not give him the satisfaction.

Last edited by champpitbull2; 05-14-2010 at 04:51 PM.
champpitbull2 is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #25
Master Collector
 
lufthansa340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ny
Age: 31
Posts: 773
Default Re: With the recent SCAREBUS A330 crashes why do some members of the US gov want it

Quote:
Originally Posted by champpitbull2 View Post
If you want to debate the merits of the USAF Tanker contract their are more then a few threads in this section devoted to it. No sense in starting another one, or letting this devolve into a Boeing and Airbus bashing contest. As said before in other ways, this thread is useless, and I beleive it's intended goal is to start a large argument. Lets not give him the satisfaction.
Well said... closed.
lufthansa340 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:36 PM.

Latest Threads
- by stevec
- by Brad
 

Models of the Week
 



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Copyright © 1998 - 2012, DiecastAircraft.com & Wings900.com - All rights reserved
AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

© 1997-2006 DiecastAircraftForum.com. This website, the content, the design and the pictures and are intended for public non commercial use, and may be redistributed, freely printed, or electronically reproduced in its complete and unaltered form provided distribution is for private use only. Partial and other distribution means require the permission of Wings900. All rights reserved.