Go Back   DA.C > Local Control > 1:1 Scale Commercial Aviation
Supported by:

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
Victim of 1:400 Virus
 
AirTran Airways 717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, Illinois
Age: 19
Posts: 1,088
Default Orange Air?

A new US carrier called Orange Air has filed with the DOT for a certificate of Public Convenience for interstate passenger services.

Orange Air based at Orlando Sanford airport and owned by RWF Capital proposes utilizing MD-83 equipment in single class 169 passenger configuration on public and private charterers commencing November 2011.

Carrier expects to receive its first aircraft in September to commence proving runs and has secured $3.1mil in start up capital so far.

Will it last?
__________________
UNITED AIRLINES
-David
"One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row, someone's lying."



My Collection:
AirTran Airways 717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
Contrail Chaser...
 
tREv d.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 21
Posts: 1,525
Default Re: Orange Air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirTran Airways 717 View Post
A new US carrier called Orange Air has filed with the DOT for a certificate of Public Convenience for interstate passenger services.

Orange Air based at Orlando Sanford airport and owned by RWF Capital proposes utilizing MD-83 equipment in single class 169 passenger configuration on public and private charterers commencing November 2011.

Carrier expects to receive its first aircraft in September to commence proving runs and has secured $3.1mil in start up capital so far.

Will it last?
Doesn't sound like a keeper to me personally. Where they are bares competition with Allegiant and Vision Air. I think 3 is a crowd.

Side note, how much can you bet we're going to see another ****ty livery.
__________________
Singer-Songwriter | Livery Artist
tREv d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
Victim of 1:400 Virus
 
AirTran Airways 717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, Illinois
Age: 19
Posts: 1,088
Default Re: Orange Air?

Sounds like America's version of Easyjet. I don't think it will last long. Allegiant will be a HUGE competitor for them. And also, the MD-83's sound like a risky move to me. A new airline starting with old MD-83's, that is going to cost a lot to maintain...
__________________
UNITED AIRLINES
-David
"One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row, someone's lying."



My Collection:
AirTran Airways 717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
Contrail Chaser...
 
tREv d.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 21
Posts: 1,525
Default Re: Orange Air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirTran Airways 717 View Post
Sounds like America's version of Easyjet. I don't think it will last long. Allegiant will be a HUGE competitor for them. And also, the MD-83's sound like a risky move to me. A new airline starting with old MD-83's, that is going to cost a lot to maintain...
If EasyJet was the model they intend on reciprocating then they have practically set themselves up to collapse. We all know how well SkyBus did.
__________________
Singer-Songwriter | Livery Artist
tREv d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
Complete Wacko!
 
mjabbasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pakistan
Posts: 11,129
Default Re: Orange Air?

They had another airline like that in Africa I believe and they used an old PIA 747-200 for some time.
__________________
Moin Abbasi
mjabbasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Victim of 1:400 Virus
 
AirTran Airways 717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, Illinois
Age: 19
Posts: 1,088
Default Re: Orange Air?

Hopefully they have a more interesting livery than that..
__________________
UNITED AIRLINES
-David
"One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row, someone's lying."



My Collection:
AirTran Airways 717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
The decal machine
 
Gargle Jus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ottawa
Age: 21
Posts: 1,577
Send a message via Skype™ to Gargle Jus
Default Re: Orange Air?

Interesting indeed! Hopefully an orange fuselage,tail, etc to get another break from the white.
__________________
Quality Model Airliner Decals and Decal Customization

www.v1decals.com bsweezey@v1decals.com

Website under construction
Gargle Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
Contrail Chaser...
 
tREv d.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 21
Posts: 1,525
Default Re: Orange Air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargle Jus View Post
Interesting indeed! Hopefully an orange fuselage,tail, etc to get another break from the white.
Startup charter airline? I doubt it.
__________________
Singer-Songwriter | Livery Artist
tREv d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #9
Victim of 1:400 Virus
 
AirTran Airways 717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, Illinois
Age: 19
Posts: 1,088
Default Re: Orange Air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tREv d. View Post
Startup charter airline? I doubt it.
Doubt it, but there is still a very slight hope!
__________________
UNITED AIRLINES
-David
"One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row, someone's lying."



My Collection:
AirTran Airways 717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
Eccentric Fisherman
 
asj410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: AHN/ATL
Posts: 2,096
Default Re: Orange Air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirTran Airways 717 View Post
A new airline starting with old MD-83's, that is going to cost a lot to maintain...
But those aircraft will be MUCH cheaper to acquire than a bunch of brand new A320s. Besides, look at what Allegiant is flying...
__________________
Precision Airliner Art on Facebook
Precision Airliner Art on Flickr
100% original airliner profile artwork, painstakingly researched and detailed for accuracy
asj410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #11
Victim of 1:400 Virus
 
AirTran Airways 717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, Illinois
Age: 19
Posts: 1,088
Default Re: Orange Air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj410 View Post
But those aircraft will be MUCH cheaper to acquire than a bunch of brand new A320s. Besides, look at what Allegiant is flying...
True, but they would (if successful) save much more money in the long run going with a more efficient aircraft. And Allegiant is a much more established airline with an annual income of over $500 Million (on average). And they are now also operating 752's. Not just relying on the MD-82/83 and MD-87 anymore.
__________________
UNITED AIRLINES
-David
"One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row, someone's lying."



My Collection:
AirTran Airways 717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #12
Eccentric Fisherman
 
asj410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: AHN/ATL
Posts: 2,096
Default Re: Orange Air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirTran Airways 717 View Post
True, but they would (if successful) save much more money in the long run going with a more efficient aircraft. And Allegiant is a much more established airline with an annual income of over $500 Million (on average). And they are now also operating 752's. Not just relying on the MD-82/83 and MD-87 anymore.
That may be Allegiant's current situation, but it's not like they picked up 50 MD-80s AFTER they became successful. They started out with them (not counting their first attempt at operations with those DC-9s back in 1999).

They haven't started operating the 757 yet, but even if they did, they'd probably only have two operational at this point, so I wouldn't really count them for much yet.

Allegiant has never had income anywhere close to $500 million in a year. Perhaps you mean revenue?

But you're right. In the long run, it may prove less costly to utilize brand new aircraft to keep operating costs down, but using MD-80s to establish yourself is still extraordinarily cheaper.
__________________
Precision Airliner Art on Facebook
Precision Airliner Art on Flickr
100% original airliner profile artwork, painstakingly researched and detailed for accuracy

Last edited by asj410; 04-03-2011 at 03:09 PM.
asj410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #13
Contrail Chaser...
 
tREv d.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 21
Posts: 1,525
Default Re: Orange Air?

The deal with a start up is they generally cannot afford a new aircraft. They have to consider other important factors in their budgets then just aircraft, which means although a new plane will be cheaper in the long run, it's impossible for them to acquire it.
__________________
Singer-Songwriter | Livery Artist
tREv d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #14
Nutcase
 
Mastershake747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In your house
Posts: 401
Default Re: Orange Air?

It's a known fact that a well thought out and artistic livery is directly proportional to your success in the airline world.
__________________

Ninjas can't catch you if your power level is OVER 9000!
Mastershake747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #15
Contrail Chaser...
 
tREv d.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 21
Posts: 1,525
Default Re: Orange Air?

It will probably be something eye catching like this.



__________________
Singer-Songwriter | Livery Artist
tREv d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:35 AM   #16
Senior Collector
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Detroit
Age: 26
Posts: 310
Send a message via AIM to deadman3108
Default Re: Orange Air?

NK...an ex-Spirit bird nice.
deadman3108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #17
Victim of 1:400 Virus
 
AirTran Airways 717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, Illinois
Age: 19
Posts: 1,088
Default Re: Orange Air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj410 View Post
That may be Allegiant's current situation, but it's not like they picked up 50 MD-80s AFTER they became successful. They started out with them (not counting their first attempt at operations with those DC-9s back in 1999).

They haven't started operating the 757 yet, but even if they did, they'd probably only have two operational at this point, so I wouldn't really count them for much yet.

Allegiant has never had income anywhere close to $500 million in a year. Perhaps you mean revenue?

But you're right. In the long run, it may prove less costly to utilize brand new aircraft to keep operating costs down, but using MD-80s to establish yourself is still extraordinarily cheaper.
Yes sorry I meant revenue...
__________________
UNITED AIRLINES
-David
"One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row, someone's lying."



My Collection:
AirTran Airways 717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:53 PM.

Latest Threads
- by SNBA
- by asj410
 

Models of the Week
 



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Copyright © 1998 - 2012, DiecastAircraft.com & Wings900.com - All rights reserved
AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

© 1997-2006 DiecastAircraftForum.com. This website, the content, the design and the pictures and are intended for public non commercial use, and may be redistributed, freely printed, or electronically reproduced in its complete and unaltered form provided distribution is for private use only. Partial and other distribution means require the permission of Wings900. All rights reserved.